Running, keeping and creating content at the same time can be an overwhelming experience – especially if you’re doing it on your own.
Today’s article, I’ve provided a checklist for you in order to keep your website in top condition and ranked high in search engine result page (SERP):
- Ensure that you add new content regularly – search engines prefer sites that continuously add new updates.
- The more content you add, the better.
- Get validated. Validate your HTML and CSS code to check that it is accurate.
- Test your site in different browsers, mobile devices and resolutions, especially after any such major changes e.g. updates by provider (e.g. WordPress). Check on different systems too (Mac, Microsoft etc)
- Make your site accessible as possible – run your site through accessibility validators regularly.
- Send out PR regularly to printed and online magazines, ensuring that your web address is clearly marked in the release.
- Add a standard site map page to your site to help visitors.
- Add a Google sitemap to your site, and update it regularly, or automate the updating process through a script.
- Be on the constant lookout for sites that will link to you – provide reciprocal links where applicable.
- Resubmit your site to search engines ever 1-2 months – not too frequently or you may get blacklisted for spamming.
- Check your web stats regularly to ensure that there are no errors and to see what is working and what is not.